Permit to Carry
Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun
Permits to carry a pistol are issued by Minnesota County Sheriffs.
Under Minnesota Law, individuals must obtain a permit to carry a handgun in public. (Note: There is no stipulation in the regarding whether that weapon must be concealed.) A Permit to Carry Constitutes a Permit to Purchase.
How to Apply in Cook County:
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old and a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Individuals wishing to obtain a permit to carry must fill out the Minnesota Uniform Firearm Application – Permit to Carry a Pistol and SUBMIT IN PERSON to the Sheriff’s Office in the county where they reside.
- Applicants must provide proof that they have taken a Minnesota Permit to Carry a Handgun Course with an instructor that is BCA Certified and that it meets MN Statute 624.714, Subd. 2(a). The course includes fundamentals of pistol use actual shooting qualification exercise, and instruction in the fundamental legal aspects of pistol possession, carry, and use including self-defense and the restrictions on use of deadly force. Training must occur within 12 months of applying for permit.
- Applicants must provide a copy of their Driver’s License or Passport.
- Refer to the Fee Schedule for application fee information. Checks and cash only accepted. The permit is valid for 5 years.
- Once received, the office has 30 days to process the application.
- A Permit to Carry issued in Minnesota is valid throughout Minnesota
Minnesota Uniform Firearm Application – Permit to Carry a Pistol
Cook County Law Enforcement Center
143 Gunflint Trail
Grand Marais, MN 55604
Dial 911 for Emergencies